PAYING HOMAGE TO LEVON HELM
WHAT HE USED TO SAY
- Anytime I switch to another instrument, I immediately turn it into another kind of drum so that I can understand it better.
- Don't we all want what's best for each other?
- Drums just always sounded like the most fun part of that good music for me.
- Drums usually seem to tune themselves.
- Forever Young, by Dylan, is one of my favorite songs.
- If you give it good concentration, good energy, good heart and good performance, the song will play you.
- If you pour some music on whatever's wrong, it'll sure help out.
- My dad and I played music. He teaches me a song or two every time I'm home.
- The crowd is just as important as the group. It takes everything to make it work.
- The rock star stuff never came up for us. The Band was never attacked by groupies before, during or after any show that we ever played.
- The way to do it is to put as much life into the song as I can. You can either get it to breathe or you can't.
- With horns and a full rhythm section, the drums always looked like the best seat in the house.
- Good times don't last long sometimes.
- I've had all the lessons I could get. I've learned from everybody I've ever met.
- We're all dealt with the same hand here, so to speak. I feel like I've had it a lot better than most people. I've had the opportunity to travel and play music all my life.